|(c) Will Hazell
Tickets are now on sale for the 2016 Vault Festival which is bringing together over 100 productions from across the widest possible spectrum of the arts. Running from 27th January until 6th March, there’s six weeks of programming from family-friendly work to late-night parties, with comedy, cabaret, theatre and much more inbetween.
With seven custom-built theatre spaces operating for the entirety of the festival in the maze of vaults underneath Waterloo Station, there’s a huge amount to choose from – you can explore the programme digitally here but as they remind you, most shows are only playing for one week so best not to delay booking if anything particularly takes your fancy
Some of the bigger names featured are Clout Theatre and award-winning Trygve Wakenshaw but a few of the shows that I reckon look interesting and which I’ll be trying to get are
- PLAY – a new writing initiative that brings together writers, directors and actors for two weeks of collaboration to create brand new plays
- a one-man musical called Stay Awake Jake starring Jamie Muscato, who’s taking a break from his new role in Bend it Like Beckham
- cabaret act House of Blakewell’s We Can Make You Happy
- Over the Limit’s first production in Gentle Tim, a re-imagined story of the Grizzly Man
- Goat and Monkey’s The Devil Speaks True, Macbeth as told from Banquo’s perspective using wireless headphones
- The Eulogy of Toby Peach, a frank and hopefully inspirational journey through a man’s experience with cancer
And to complete the immersive festival feel, the vaults are being supplemented with a wide range of drinking and eating options – at least three bars, including a pop-up country pub showcasing the best food and drink of East Anglia – plus an amazing amount of special events and activities including weekend artist surgeries, free workshops and a weekly Devoted & Disgruntled open space event, not to mention the UK’s largest all female Street Art and graffiti festival and a knitting club.
There is, as they say, surely something for everyone here so why not go and see what takes your fancy.