“I’m dreaming of a white Christmas”
The festive season is nearly upon us and if you are making a shopping trip to the bright lights or you just love the feel of Christmas in London, you have to take in a West End show.
2016 has been yet another vintage year in theatreland and we’ve teamed up with BoxOffice.co.uk to bring you the top ten shows we recommend you check out for that Christmas treat.
- Dreamgirls – Glee star Amber Riley plays the lead role in this brilliant musical telling the story of the rise of a Chicago R&B act in the 1960s. Running at the Savoy Theatre until March 2017.
- Aladdin – The latest Disney classic to get the West End treatment is this classic story of the street urchin from Agrabah at the Prince Edward Theatre until April 2017.
- The Bodyguard – Whitney Houston classics such as ‘I Will Always Love You’ and ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ feature heavily in this adaptation of the hit movie, with Beverley Knight playing the leading role at the Dominion Theatre until January 2017.
- School of Rock – Jack Black’s 2003 comedy about turning students into rock legends comes to the New London theatre until February 2017, with some new Andrew Lloyd-Webber-penned numbers.
- Cinderella – The classic family fairytale is the perfect pantomime performance to take in over Christmas, and you have until January 2017 to ensure you go to the ball at the London Palladium.
- Matilda the Musical – Roald Dahl’s Matilda comes to life in this brilliant new musical at the Cambridge Theatre until October 2017 via a successful Broadway stint, with music by comedian Tim Minchin.
- The Book of Mormon – From the creators of South Park and strictly for adults only, this much-talked-about mix of laughter and songs runs at the Prince of Wales theatre until January 2017.
- The Lion King – Another Disney smash featuring dancing, singing and plenty of African inspiration at the Lyceum Theatre until April 2017.
- Thriller Live – Visually spectacular and featuring amazing choreography, the career of Michael Jackson is celebrated at the Lyric Theatre until October 2017, featuring early songs like ABC and classics like Billie Jean.
- Wicked – The popular prequel to the Wizard of Oz telling the story of Dorothy, the Good Witch and the Bad Witch is celebrating ten years at the Apollo Victoria and runs until November 2017.